Johannes von Gleichenstein and his wife Christina von Gleichenstein are the eleventh generation who currently run the historic family winery in Oberrotweil in the middle of the Kaiserstuhl. Like their ancestors, they fell in love with wine and feel a great connection to the region. With the name Freiherr von Gleichenstein, they stand for the quality of the first-class wines, which are known far beyond the borders of the southern Baden region. They see it as their obligation to continue the long family history with commitment, professionalism, and soul.
The history of the Freiherr von Gleichenstein winery dates back to 1490. At that time, the St. Blasien monastery was planning to build a tithe cellar and barn. However, it was another 15 years before the estate could be put into operation because wood had to be used for the construction. According to the traditions of the time, this had to be beaten, floated, and smoked during the waning moon and stored dry for ten years. To this day, Johannes and Christina have been able to keep many of these elaborately prepared wooden structures, as well as the wine cellar, in their original condition.
The farm has been family-owned since 1634. Baron Hans Joachim von Gleichenstein converted what was then a mixed farm into a dedicated winery.